The following information will describe the process to receive the Debt Retirement Charge (DRC) exemption for your eligible bulk metered multi-unit residential premises.
If you require any support, or have questions about the DRC, do not hesitant to contact us at Wyse. Our Sales Coordinator, Julia Ilyina, will be pleased to assist you.
Sales Coordinator, Wyse Meter Solutions
Special Note to Wyse’s clients on SyNERGY services:
Wyse will handle the entire DRC Exemption process on your behalf – with the exception of the authorized signatures required by you. Wyse is currently reaching out to all our SyNERGY clients. If you haven’t heard from us yet, you will be contacted very soon.
The Ontario government has announced its plans to remove the Debt Retirement Charge (DRC) of 0.7¢/kWh from residential electricity bills effective as of January 1, 2016.
Bulk metered multi-unit residential premises—on a Residential Rate Class—are eligible for a DRC exemption of up-to-1,500 kWh per month per residential unit.
The Debt Retirement Charge will not be removed from the Commercial Rate Class.
The combined removal of the Ontario Clean Energy Benefit (10%) and the Debt Retirement Charge will produce a net increase of approximately 6% in your electricity bills in 2016. Rent increases are capped at only 2%.
Wyse hosted webinars on the subject. Click the video icon below to watch a recorded webinar. Click here to download the webinar slides.
Mandatory Self-Declaration Form for DRC Credit
Owners or property managers of eligible bulk metered multi-unit residential premises are required to provide their local distribution company (LDC) with properly completed DRC Self Declaration Forms – including account information for each building.
The DRC Exemption will not be applied retroactively so it is imperative that properly completed DRC Self Declaration Forms are submitted and approved before January 01, 2016.
Please be advised:
- DRC Self Declaration Forms vary by LDCs across the province. Refer to the forms attached below (in PDF format) for several large LDCs.
- In general, the following instructions apply:
- If you have more than one qualified account, please fill out a separate form for each account.
- If there are any Eligible Residential Units in your building or complex that are metered or billed separately from the account referenced, please DO NOT include them in the total number of units for this account.
Step-by-Step Process for Form Completion
1. Download the online Self Declaration Form for your buildings’ LDC.
2. Properly complete the required form(s). Note the following information must be included for each eligible building:
- LDC Account Number
- Account Name
- Account Services Address
- Number of Eligible Units
- Authorized Signature(s)
3. Submit the completed form(s) to the appropriate LDC by email or traditional mail. Refer to the address information and instructions included on each Form. The Form(s) should be submitted in a timely manner well before the end of 2015. Declarations received after December 31, 2015 will not be applied retroactively.
4. The LDC will review the form(s). Any inaccuracies or late form(s) may cause a delay in the approval process.
5. If you qualify, the LDC will calculate the Debt Retirement Charge Credit based on the form and will become effective January 1, 2016, or upon receipt, whichever is later.
DRC Self Declaration Forms – included are several large LDCs
If you do not see your LDC form listed below, please directly visit your LDC’s website to download the form, or contact Wyse’s expert Julia Ilyina at firstname.lastname@example.org or 416.869.3943.